Thursday, June 21, 2007

Henry Ford Museum

Last night we went on a field trip to the Henry Ford Museum. Before rolling your eyes, check out some of the sights. If you like old cars, trains, bikes...its very cool. There is also an exhibit called Cars and Guitars. I'm not kidding. This featured rock stars and their favorite ...well, cars and guitars. Quite fun.

Strangely, they had a bus and exhibit celebrating Rosa Parks and the Montgomery boycott. The exhibit was great but it seemed like an odd thing for the museum. There was also a women's rights exhibit, showing the history of the suffragette movement with Alice Paul and friends. Odd.

One more day and I go home. This is a relief. Its hard to be away from the kids. I get to speak with BZ on the phone, but the little ones are difficult to have a conversation with. Max tells me things that I can't quite understand over the phone since he's half talking to me and half trying to watch a movie, so whatever he's saying doesn't really make sense. Although last night he announced during the call that he felt his pee pee coming - so by phone, I joined him for the event. I actually heard him pee. I don't think he flushed or put the seat down BUT he still got a sticker I'm guessing.

And Aiden, well I can speak to him and he can babble back but that is not enough. Aiden is having a bit of a hard time as evidenced by his clingy behavior when I am gone. He's probably fine BUT, I hate being away and causing any emotional turmoil, worry, fear, anxiety.

Its a dilemma professionally for me. I don't want to be limited in what I can or cannot do for work but I also don't want to screw up the family, that is supposed to come first. It wasn't an issue last year for me. Clearly my priority was family and the work supplemented that. It has changed now that I am starting to want work challenge again. Does that make me a bad person? A selfish one? I don't mean to say that I want work to come first, I just don't know how to do both well.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M,

    the mere fact that you're conscious of the division of the work/family balancing act means you're not a bad mother!

    I hope you're having phun in HI!!

    see you when you return....car racing this weekend with The Scientist coming out both days (what a trooper) to be pit crew and shoot photos! :)

    *edited for baaad spelunging*

    ReplyDelete