Friday, June 29, 2007

Big Island

We arrived on a Saturday evening. We were Lei'd in the airport.


Even the pool at the condo was beautiful. Ah, Hawaii. We have now, really arrived.


Toward the end of the trip, I was desperate to provide some activity or adventure for Max to really remember. We couldn't do the lava thing, we couldn't do the volcano, and the submarine and the helicopter seemed out of the question. I bought tickets to ride the glass bottom boat. 55 minutes at the coral reef looking at beautiful fish and sea turtles. Cool.




So, the thing is, I get sea sick. I can get sea sick in a bathtub. I am proud to say, I did not hurl. It was close.

The Hilton property was beautiful. This was not a roughing-it kind of vacation. The lava rock was the backdrop, the palm trees were front and center.


We did not see any live volcanoes. Max and I were disappointed about that. Apparently, there were a few earthquakes the week before we arrived which made all the volcanic activity go dormant while we were there. And, you can't really bring kids on the hikes and activities that are lava/volcano related-not too easy or safe. Maybe next time. Maybe a bit of baking soda in the middle of a paper mache volcano. Awesome.
Wish we saw this. Didn't.
This would have been cool. Happened before we arrived.

When we got home. Max was sad. He told me he would like to live in Hawaii. It would be a good place to live. I agreed. He said he missed being with Caleb, his cousin. He also missed the shiny kitchen floor, it was really nice. He said. Next time he wants to go back and ride in a helicopter to see the volcanoes.

1 comment:

  1. It looks perfect! I hope you got to rest and relax!

    ReplyDelete