Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reverend Margaret

It is very easy to become a reverend. all you need is a name and an email address. If you want the official certificate, well, then its an extra $4.99 plus shipping, total a bit under $10.

I am not trying to be blasphemous, a friend asked me to marry him. Rather, he asked me to "officiate" his marriage. What an honor. He didn't think it was possible but I assured him that since living in the Bay Area, most of the weddings we've attended have been by officiated by friends and family of the bride and groom.

So I am a reverend of the Universal Life Church Monastery. It's a non-denominational church, that believes that everyone should have the right to have ceremonies like weddings, memorials, rites of passage, in whatever way they wish that reflects their beliefs.

OK, its ridiculous. I know but, my certificate is in the mail. I am officiating a wedding for someone I really care about. What's so wrong about that?

Uh oh, gotta go get ready...Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I like that church....it seems to have a philosophy of "Don't worry, bee happy". Ok - I just couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete