Monday, December 17, 2007

O Christmas Tree O christmas tree...

Here's what Danny Seo says...go with a live tree. He makes a good case, here's an excerpt:

Choose a live tree. Believe it or not, I lived on a Christmas tree farm for three years of my life. Even though I didn’t work on the farm, I did learn more about evergreen trees than any person should ever really know. The greenest choice when it comes to real vs. fake is choose a live tree. You see, these farms are using land that’s unsuitable for most crops, except hardy trees. So they’re saving land from development. Plus the trees provide habitat for wildlife and help combat global warming while looking all so charming and idyllic. And unlike a fake tree which is made from petroleum based materials and shipped from overseas, these trees are renewable and easily recyclable.

Well? I'd love your opinion, and, I am still waiting to hear about protecting the ornaments. One idea is to avoid all breakables...smart thinking.

Gotta go, kids returning soon and I need to jump back into my sick bed so no one thinks I'm recovered (i.e. able to do things for others).


3 comments:

  1. We were just discussing this today over dinner...our daughter (11 y.o.) doesn't want a tree because she thinks it's wasteful (she's right). Mom and dad (us) want a tree because...well, because we ALWAYS have a tree. The comments here make sense to me, from a logical standpoint. I don't like artificial because they are tacky and cheap (me being so classy and all).

    As for breaking stuff, I say just have a tree the way you want and try to pay attention. Truth is, the way kids learn NOT to break things is by breaking things. Everyone will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last bit about jumping back into bed and "recovering". Does anyone in your family read your blog?

    I put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom and the rest at the top. Madeleine tried to touch a few times but is doing a great job looking. In fact, the first couple times I told her not to touch and look with her eyes she stuck her head in the tree and got her eyes right on top of the ornament.

    It's working out, no worries. They learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As with diapers, the fake trees will stay in the landfills for more years than we are around. Is this the legacy we want to leave our children? Go for the live....as well as other arguement I left in a previous post.
    Same as Christine - I put the breakable ornaments on top - soft ones on bottom. Also - don't decorate tree with kid watching. They are less likely to see it as something they "shouldn't" get into if they aren't being told, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from the start!

    ReplyDelete