Monday, December 3, 2007

Damned hats

Yesterday I was ill. Was it the curse of the too-big-hat? Perhaps.

I took pictures to show evidence of my knitting problem. Some of you have been saying I am too hard on myself...see for yourself, I am not hard enough, apparently.

Let's go over a brief history of my hat making and perhaps I can figure out where I have gone so wrong.






My first hat:

The first hat was a small pink hat with lace and it worked well, except it was big enough for a football player.

I washed the hell out of it and brought it down to size for a toddler. Check.



Next hat:
Max really wanted a cool hat that his mommy made. So I began. It was fall, so, we picked fall colors. I lost my place at one point and messed up some stitches but, what the hell, its for a 4-yr old.

When I finally finished...I could clearly see that it could fit yet another football player (with a giant head).

So, I just gave it to BZ, who, BTW, loves it. Very Rasta.




Next hat:
I will learn from my mistakes.

Time for sweet little Aiden. I have learned to stick to cotton so it isn't "itchy." His hat actually fits, wow!

But, he loves to pull apart the pom-pom. Shit. Still cute. Hard to get a photo, he doesn't actually like wearing the hat...details...





Most recent hat:
December 1 was my sister's birthday-Happy birthday, Elisabeth!

Her kids all play ice hockey, it is very cold at ice hockey rinks, very cold. It seems there are games and practices 7 days a week. Elisabeth must have a very chilly head. Ahah!

I made a big fat hat this weekend. It worked except the stitching at the top is ugly. BUT the hat is warm and cozy.




Lessons learned:
1. Follow directions, don't make them up
2. When making up directions, make it much smaller than you think you should
3. Follow directions, any directions

So what about that too-big Max hat?


Well, BZ can make anything look cool. Well, almost anything.

Go dog, go!


No comments:

Post a Comment