Friday, August 31, 2007

Too much gas



Credit Card Fraud is a wide-ranging term for theft and fraud committed using a credit card or any similar payment mechanism as a fraudulent source of funds in a transaction. The purpose may be to obtain goods without paying, or to obtain unauthorized funds from an account. Credit card fraud is also an adjunct to identity theft.

The cost of credit card fraud reaches into billions of dollars annually. In 2006, fraud in the United Kingdom alone was estimated at £428.0 million (about $840 million).

Someone got one of our credit cards. Someone sure bought a lot of gasoline for their automobile. In fact, they got a whole lot of gas for a whole lot of other vehicles as well.

How could we have not seen this for three months you might ask. Why would one of us question the other on gas station charges? Well, the tip off might have started with the locations (Oroville, Dixon, San Leandro) but that's just a detail. We also haven't gotten a mailed statement in 3 or 4 months. We have to go online and find the statement since the bill gets paid automatically each month. When I go online, I've been less apt to check the detail.

So it seems that I must have dropped my card back in May somewhere here in Montclair, and a lucky person (the bad guy) got my card and decided to buy a whole lot of gas for as long as he could get away with it. I assume male even though the last time I was robbed in this way, it was a female bad guy/gal. She did a lot of shopping at BabiesRUs. And she bought Big-O-Tires.

3 comments:

  1. That's terrible! I'm sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, that was me, Linda J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Headaches galore. Grr.

    If it makes you feel slightly better, foolish things happen in my kitchen. I reheated that cheese pizza in the oven on the rack. When I opened the door to get them out, they had flipped over and landed on the cookie sheet on the rack below. I'm really glad I put that cookie sheet there.

    Look! I can comment!

    ReplyDelete