Sunday, August 3, 2008

Who are we?

Have you read this yet:

Immigrants Deported by US Hospitals

I don't know why I choose this of all the other atrocities I read about but this is so upsetting and scary. I picked up the local paper yesterday and read about a disabled teenager who was so neglected by family, social services, everyone and now she is dead. The article goes on forever on how bad it was. Reading that article, like this one, was horrific.

When I was pregnant, BZ hid the newspaper from me, well, just the sections with the stories of horror (i.e. Lacy Peterson or the pregnant Bernal Heights woman who got clobbered by a paint can by a man who came to her door). I always knew when BZ was hiding news so I make it a point to find it...I was obsessed with both of these cases. In fact, I had a post-baby yoga class with the Bernal Heights woman (who survived, obviously).

This is probably why I like getting my news online so I can choose which headline to click on. It sounds wimpy but its really upsetting to read about the gazillion horrors that go on everyday. Its easier to read about politics, or the environmental hazards of off-shore drilling. Or even about terrible trans fats. Ooh, bad.

So there you have it. If I am to keep any optimism toward the future, I need to stay a little bit ignorant.

1 comment:

  1. You are preaching to the choir here. I can't watch the news or I'll have nightmares and then no sleep and then be a bad mom and well....it gets to be an ugly circle. That's why I just ask Kim the important stuff. Damn her for the leaving the AP! :-) (not that she still doesn't know all the important stuff though!)

    ReplyDelete