Saturday, August 2, 2008

Getting ready

We are getting ready to go to France.

The first thing to worry about is what snacks to bring-this is important since its many hours on a plane and kids with odd needs and allergies, and parents who get grumpy and need a comfort snack to make it all better.

First thing I found: Swedish fish. They are sitting in a target bag next to other snacks like gold fish, trail mix, blah, blah, blah. When was the last time I had Swedish fish? Long time ago and now I am obsessed and want to open the bag. Just like last week when I thought it a good idea to buy Lucky Charms. My thinking was something like this. Oh, on the airplane, wouldn't they be a great surprise for the children? Max scoped them out in the grocery bag immediately. We've been eating them. I don't know that they will be much of a surprise by next week. I love snacks.

I need to choose what knitting projects to bring as well. The front of my sweater (the never ending sweater), the hot pink yarn for a new scarf that Max and I are sharing (long story), and, the yarn and pattern to restart the fingerless gloves that I messed up months ago. This may seem like a lot but you just never know. Instead of packing loads of clothes, I will pack yarn and snacks.

I am also trying to "tie up loose ends." You know, for work I need to get paperwork done and a bunch of phone calls. For the fundraiser I need to make sure I delegate out whatever needs to be done before I return.
This is the Oakland Museum of CA garden, at least a section of it. Picture 1800 happy progressive fans....I am trying to myself. There of course will be a stage and a bunch of different bands and performers and maybe even a silent auction. We've switched our focus a bit. Instead of being a fundraiser for Obama, we are now partnered with Music For Democracy, a progressive organization focused on bringing the music industry together with its fans as well as politicians and changing the electoral process. The money generated will definitely help Obama in terms of voter registration, GOTV efforts, etc BUT it will also benefit down ballot candidates in swing states as well. Oh, and the technology they are developing for websites, etc...its all very cool and exciting.

So this is what I have been spending any spare moments working on. And I am leaving the country in three days and we don't yet have THE headliner. We do however have Blame Sally, Hot Buttered Rum, Marga Gomez, and 3-4 other bands on hold until we know the deal with the big name, and, we need to begin selling tickets before I return. Crazy and fun.

My stress level is leading me to knitting faster. Which is not a bad thing.
ps. For those of you wondering why I didn't say anything earlier or invite you in to help out, I apologize. I didn't want to push my Obamania on any of you further than I already have. I would however LOVE to get you all excited and involved in this MFD event. It should be REALLY fun. Really. Fun. I. Mean. It.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you Margaret! Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house looks inviting. Can we join you? Kidding. We're not prepared. No snacks ready. Cocoa Puffs (sp?)???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you crazy, crazy gal. You've set the wheels in motion - let's see what you're in for!!! I can see you have that producer/promoter blood running in your veins.

    BTW - I LOVE Swedish Fish. Oh, they are so good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete