Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kindergarten

This has been a "cameras-down" week for our household. The first week of Kindergarten is finally behind us. Other parents all had cameras out for day one, we decided against it. OK, I forgot but in my defense, it was not something that we would want recorded in any form.

Starting something new is difficult for most people. For Max, Kindergarten was a scary thing. He did not want to let go. We lined up on the playground and the teacher, Mr. Richard Thompson, led the new class into the school, down the long hallway to the last classroom on the left, the Kindergarten class. I know about this route since I was dragging Max on my leg, yes, he was clung to my right leg as I staggered behind a bunch of tiny people. I felt very large.

Day 2. Max clung to my arm (which seemed like an improvement).
Day 3. He clung to my body and had to be peeled off of me at the class doorway. This was bad. I felt terrible and wondered what emotional damage I was causing to him or more importantly, to myself.
Day 4. Lots of tears.
Day 5. TGIF as they say. I still took the long walk with the tiny people down the hallway to Room #2. This time, Max was holding my hand. At the door, he took the teachers hand. He wasn't happy about it but it seemed a teeny bit easier and a lot faster.

Perhaps next week or the week after I'll be able to see him off on the playground with the other parents. Perhaps in a month. We'll see.

Not to be forgotten, BZ has been bringing Aiden to preschool. That's not been so smooth either. Aiden cries and cries for Max, has tantrums throughout the day and clings to BZ at the drop offs. Aiden is our independent one. Our independent one misses his brother terribly.

Right now, Saturday morning, I hear them playing outside with wild giggles of hysteria. Its the best. So, really, its kind of cool that they miss each other so much. It feels bad they are sad, but great that they're so tight. Thank goodness its a long weekend.

Gotta go and join the gigglefest.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Margaret,
    It must have been a real fun week. Many children have these fears and do get over them. Be strong. Emjay starts first grade on Wednesday in a new school. I will be home with the two little girls. Glad I don't have to witness the crying and clinging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to your family. It's so hard to see our kids cry and work through sadness. What's going to happen when it's time for college. I think I'll be the one crying then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stepping along, one bit at a time. It will be so nice to look back with relief that it's over!

    Giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I remember those first days of kindergarten with Mike & Brian...especially Mike. The "hanging-on-to-me days" lasted till 2nd grade with Mike! But years later you will look back and chuckle. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uggghhhh...there is nothing that gets you where it counts like a child not wanting to leave you. We recently went to a talk at Kiira's kingergarten given by the school psychiatrist. He said parents have two basic emotions. Love and guilt. Uggghhhh.....how apt.

    ReplyDelete