Sunday, January 27, 2008

The ugly truth is leaking out

Oh fellow Americans, how can you be so ugly? Over the past few days, I have been following the articles, the interviews, the websites, the blogs, all leading up to the South Carolina primary.

By yesterday, the full spectrum of ugliness has emerged. I know I live in a racist society. I know I live in a sexist society. I know I live in an ignorant society. I guess I have been somewhat protected living where I live, where people SEEM more accepting of differences, or at least, talk about what they don't understand out loud (some of the time).

The racism that I have been reading on the web through blogs and article comments on NYT, Washington Post, you name it, almost any forum for political banter, is filled with crazy intolerance, racism, ignorance...all hiding under "Know it all" or "this may not be PC to say but..."

I didn't expect it from those who call themselves progressives.

OK. I am not a complete idiot. I know that Race is an issue in this country. I know its a huge issue and that most of our institutions still discriminate, that most of us hold some form of racism towards another group, not even on purpose but just because we don't understand or because we are scared of what we don't know. But it doesn't make it OK to spread the venom.

There were all these comments about illegal immigrants being the majority of Hispanics in CA and they are ruining the economy...Wha?

Many comments questioning how "Black" Obama is? Or, on the flip side, that he has sold out his race, or flipping back, the fear of his middle name (Hussein) or his last name that sounds like the bad guy (How can you vote for a guy who's name sounds like Osama?)

Then there are the comments insulting the black voters of SC for "setting back Civil Rights 150 yrs by voting for Obama" which I don't really follow. There are so many assumptions that he got the vote JUST because of race. Clearly it has bearing but how does it explain women who vote for men?

These are the polite comments. They get much worse. Much worse. I am ashamed for this country.

Disclaimer: When first choosing a candidate I was worried about choosing Obama because I assumed someone would make an attempt on his life (i.e. MLK jr), but then I was reminded that they shot Bobby in his run, and he was White (but Catholic and related to JFK and very progressive). So basically, anyone who threatening to change things up, is in danger.

Disclaimer #2: I don't really think Obama is so different than Hillary or Edwards, but, he speaks so beautifully and he seems to have a better world view and he seems to attract more diverse perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment