Saturday, January 12, 2008

The terminator

Have you read The Terminator's plan for California? Here's just a bit of a peek:

Parents, teachers and education advocates up and down California reacted with outrage Friday to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposal to cut nearly $5 billion from public schools over the next 18 months.

The news that millions of dollars could be cut from categories such as class-size reduction, textbooks, preschool programs, after-school tutoring and hot lunches led one father to ask why a state that ranks among the top 10 global economies educates its children in the manner of a Third World nation.


And this is just the education part...you need to see his plans to cut health care. There are those that say he's just doing this as a threat so he can raise taxes. What makes me mad is that he's the one who took office and immediately sent everyone a refund check for their car registration. What a nice guy, sending us all a check for several hundred dollars and a few years later, bankrupting our schools, taking away health care from those that need it but could hardly afford it anyway, and so forth.

Does this make sense to any of you? I truly am trying to understand the thinking behind taking funds from programs that serve those without, instead of getting funding from large businesses and those with all the tax loop holes at the top of the heap.

I don't believe that the wealthy should be responsible for paying my taxes, I just think they should pay their fucking share.

Sorry about the language but I can't curse out loud anywhere anymore. I seriously don't understand why it makes sense for any community to punish those with less and make it worse for them. This is not about handouts. School should not only be for the elite, the well to do, the lucky few. School should be a right. Good education should be available to us all.

In California, at least in our county, most of art, music, library, PE are parent funded. PE is provided by our district for 1/2 hour a week. I thought obesity was an epidemic in children? What does it cost to treat obesity, diabetes...? What happened to Arnold, has he forgotten his past?


What planet do I live on? Outside of SF, I'm considered naive for thinking teachers aren't paid well, for thinking the gov't should help with health care, for believing that racism and classism is alive and well in the US of A.

I suppose I am naive thinking that things can change and that the world can be a loving and compassionate place. I choose to remain hopeful. This craziness just inspires me to fight back. But where to begin?

I know, I'll join the knitters for peace movement. Randy, I'm on my way.

3 comments: