Thursday, November 15, 2007

My shiny car

Today I was in a car accident. It was very frightening. I am okay, the car is okay, but I was really freaked. It was like a hit and run on the freeway. I say "like" since it wasn't like plowing down a pedestrian, it was "bumping" into another car and taking off. A large pickup truck and cargo van were slamming down the freeway and came to a slow down...but didn't, slammed into each other, one spun out, the other spun into me. They both adjusted and then sped off. I was sure they had destroyed the side of my car but I was wrong. When I finally pulled over and stopped shaking, I got out, checked...nothing. The side mirror was pushed in, but not broken.


On my way home, I stopped at an overpriced car wash and got the works. They vacuumed, cleaned windows, hand washed the car. They threatened me with car freshener but I declined. My car now sparkles. I am proud of my big old minivan for protecting me.

I have been debating whether or not to trade it in for a smaller, more environmentally responsible vehicle. Forget it. I am alive. I would have been mush in a small vehicle. Oh, and on a GM note, I used OnStar to get help filing a report. They connected me immediately to CHP, who then dispatched an officer to the scene. The OnStar lady offered to stay on the line while I waited in case I was still freaked and needed company. How cool is that? I declined but was very thankful.


So yes, the following day I traded in my faithful Venture for an Uplander (Chevy minivan speak). This new one has side airbags for the back seats, where the kids sit. There is also more of a front than my other van, a lot safer. New. Pretty (for a minivan). I know, its not a Prius, but I am alive thanks to my giant, gas guzzling vehicle. And we recycle and have twirly light bulbs, alright?


2 comments: