Friday, July 13, 2007

Swim a Mile




Not that the radiologist was surprised. In fact she was clear before hand that I didn't need a biopsy at all. So she humored me and left two scars and two little markers inside me for next time when they look. Just calcifications, wacky crap left over from nursing. Apparently my breasts are dense and that has something to do with something.

I feel like I am having a post-biopsy hangover. So to address the hangover, I have been thinking about signing up for Swim a Mile. At least it will be a way to take action, be proactive and fight cancer. Not my cancer, I don't have cancer. but every one else seems to. I read this statistic that says that 1 of every two women will have some sort of cancer in their lives. Can that be true?

I find it depressing and unfair. Anyway, as many of my friends and family know, I really am not a very good swimmer and in fact, I have a fear of drowning. What I like about this swim event is that you can swim one lap or swim a full mile, you can use water wings, a kick board or not swim at all.

Similar to the AIDS ride and the Danskin triathlon, I will be doing something that is completely frightening and seemingly impossible, at the same time, I will be raising money for something I care about and getting in shape.

If someone can withstand chemo and radiation and surgery and all the garbage that goes with it, I can get a bit of water up my nose.

1 comment:

  1. Respect and all the best.
    Yes - I watched Little Miss Sunshine too recently and found it strangely (scarily) moving.
    blessings,
    Peter.

    ReplyDelete