Thursday, July 5, 2007

More than you wanted to know

WHAT IS STEREOTACTIC BREAST BIOPSY?

A Stereotopic Biopsy is a newer method of doing a breast biopsy. A standard biopsy involves going to the hospital operating room where an incision in the breast is used to remove a portion of the abnormal tissue. The newer method of biopsy is performed in the mammogram suite, rather than the operating room. A mammogram is used to locate the area of the abnormality and the biopsy is performed while the breast is compressed in the mammography unit. The procedure only involves a local anesthesia instead of the intravenous sedation or general anesthesia required for the more traditional open incision approach.

The procedure involves the one-time insertion of a probe directly into the area of the breast that appeared suspicious based on a physical exam or a mammogram finding. The doctor guides the probe through the use of ultrasound or stereotactic imaging systems. Once inside, the device gently vacuums, cuts and removes tissue for examination.


Gross. Its better not to read about it. The good news is that several family members went through this recently and their results were benign. That's the good news. In bad news, I hate needles and "procedures" probably more than glass bottom boats or winding roads as a passenger. I can handle giving birth, just don't give me an IV. I hate needles and pokey things.

I think its time to follow Kim's lead and take up Art. did I mention I nearly passed out at her physical therapy session for her thumb? I'm a weanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment