Sunday, February 8, 2009

Politics of a Party


Birthday parties. Why is this hard for me? Max is turning 6 yrs old and wants to have a Lego Star Wars party. Fine. I can make a Lego cake. I can create fun activities and games. I cannot for the life of me figure out the proper invitation etiquette.

OK, so for those of you without kids or without kids in this age range, please keep your snickering to yourself. My issue is that I don't want to hurt any little person's feelings. We are not going to invite his entire class over. We need to choose up to 6 to 7 kids but then, they talk and then they ask why they aren't invited....awkward.

So yes, I will make a birthday snack for the classroom to dull the rejection but still, I feel sort of bad. Where do you draw the line? And, there are kids I want invited and those I don't but its not my party. But, I am the mom. I am assuming this will all be so clear and easy when I get here with Aiden. Right now, it takes me back to wedding invitations and who gets left out.

And no, I did not bake and make that "Troy" birthday cake. I just put it there to show you what I am up against. I thought by taking a stand against big pricey parties I had this thing beat. I was wrong. Its easier to just say, invite everyone, but then its chaos, just as expensive....

I need some corn chips.

3 comments:

  1. Bleagh! I got off easy this year. A family party. Plus a fun excursion (oddly enough, also family).

    I say it's up to the other kids' parents to deal with any "how come I wasn't invited?" I haven't heard anything from mine about not getting to go to a party. Now, if he's invited and can't go, that will be a whole 'nother problem.

    Ack! Bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, kids take it well. We also have a teacher that puts the kabosh on talking of bday parties in school - lest someone's feelings get hurt.

    ReplyDelete