Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Success

Oakland Rocks For Change September 16th, 2008

We did it. We did it. We did it.
Our MC was Marga Gomez, a fantastic comedian who has been so supportive and generous with her time. Did I mention she is one of the funniest and smartest people ever. She's performing in SF at La Pena Cultural Center November 7th and 8th, don't miss it. She was names "Best Comedian of 2008" by the Bay Buardian. I remember her from Josie's Juice Joint back in the day.




These photos are all by Tom Erikson....


Here's our very own Blame Sally. these gals were in from the beginning. Not only are they talented but they can sing too. This morning I talked to this guy who was there who is from New York and had never heard of Blame Sally. He said, they were magic, they were the best of the night, there was just something about them that was so moving...but we already know that, didn't we?




So the second group to come aboard were Tuck & Patti. When you hear their music you are bound to say, Oh, I know that song. On Itunes, they sound cheesy. In real life, their music will make you weep. I don't care what kind of music you listen to, these two brought down the house. There was a standing ovation. More magic.





Yes, this is Tommy Castro of The Castro Band. He's a blues rocker guy, he kicked some booty. Notice the cool guy in the back. That would be Billy, the coolest of the cool. Billy was the music director of the house band, he put together an amazing group of musicians, he got all the sound equipment donated, he got this guy Steve to do the sound, he brought on Tommy and Jeffrey Halford, yet another incredible performer. Billy, thank you.



More pictures to come whether you like it or not. I am very proud of this event. I need to show off Ayelet Waldman, Hot Buttered Rum, Maria Muldaur and the whole scene.

There were people dancing in the aisles. As I was running around backstage and through the lobby appeasing all these voices, " I need more 1's," " are there any more seats?", as I was running, I could hear the music vibrating through the walls and I just felt really good. This is where I belong.

*Photos by Tom Erikson

4 comments:

  1. wow Schultzy, huge heart felt congratulations!!!

    I'm so sorry I couldn't be there, stupid work sending me across the ocean for work!!! :(

    -loon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are great! Are they Tom's? Super-duper congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret - you did an amazing job. I must say I'm in total awe - didn't know if it could be done but you pulled it off. Bless you!

    Monica (sick as a dog at home)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Margaret! Sorry we couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete