Saturday, October 2, 2010

Several strong reasons to VOTE in November


I just returned from a Barbara Boxer Fundraising event. It inspired me. I got to hear from:
  • Senator Kirsten Gillibrand from New York, awesome progressive, young and aggressive, is one of the key supporters of LBGT rights legislation
  • Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, my new heroine-she's just a rock star-funny, a natural speaker, holds no punches, you may have heard her on the Rachel Maddow show
  • Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington- I'm embarassed to say, I wasn't familiar with her but now I know to look out for her, I liked her a lot.
  • Senator Mark Begich of Alaska (yes, he's a Democrat and fights for Global Warming legislation)
  • Host and Senator Dianne Feinstein, California,
got to meet her and although I've often shake my fist at her lack of progressive stances on issues, she has been a staunch supporter of a woman's right to choose, environmental protection legislation, corporate regulations and most of the areas that I support. It was an honor to meet her.

Here is why I support Senator Barbara Boxer:
  • Chairs the Environment and Public Works Committee- has fought on all fronts to end off shore drilling, continue to block drilling from the coast of CA, has passed legislation to increase Wilderness Areas....on and on
  • Strongly supports the repeal of DADT
  • Supports ending tax breaks for offshoring jobs
  • Supported and helped pass the biggest middle class tax cuts bill in our country's history
  • Supports the small business jobs bill, which is currently being blocked by Republicans
  • Continually supports a woman's right to controlling her own body and health care needs, in fact she said that she would fight for a woman's right to choose, "as long as there is a breathe in my body..."
  • She recently helped pass a bill adding thousands of teachers back into the school systems, paid for by ending those tax breaks to companies shipping jobs overseas

I always vote, but now I am inspired to vote-will you vote? Will your family and friends vote? Its the most American thing we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment