Sunday, October 24, 2010

C.O.R.E.

Done. I finished my CORE (Communities of Oakland Respond to Emergencies) training. Yesterday was the final hands-on training with the Firefighters at their Oakland Training Center. Amazing. We got to practice what we've been learning over the past month: disaster first aid, search and rescue, putting out fires, "cribbing," lifts...and then we got to go through a post-earthquake simulation exercise.
There were about 8 volunteers playing victims of the disaster, made up in some pretty gross bloody-type makeup. I happened to get assigned to the First Aid tent and was to perform triage and first aid as best I could on those that got brought in. The guy pictured was all bandaged up rocking in a corner for most of the time.

Its hard to explain how cool it is to be training by the city to help in an emergency. These firefighters were amazing, fun, funny, super smart....and so generous with their time.
During the classroom training, there was a whole lot of information shared and most of it was stressful. Learning about how to take care of the most number of people rather than one individual. Leaving people for dead if they aren't breathing within a few tries. Learning that in a major earthquake, there will be dead people and that we will probably see them. Dealing with so much pain and destruction...but also, learning how to organize with neighbors in advance so that for most situations, you are pretty prepared.

The hands-on training felt pretty empowering. I was pretty good at putting out fires and search and rescue. Not sure how it would play out in real life though. I still have lots of reviewing to do. And although I don't have an extra minute, I find this all very energizing. I can't wait for graduation on November 17th. We each get a bright green CORE hardhat, vest and name tag to make it official. Yes, completely geeky, but I can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed and think your training is going to serve you well, no matter where or when.
    Pops, aka Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! Remember, your grandfather was a conventional MD, and his father either an allopathic or homeopathic doctor. And Gussie was a nurse! You have saving, healing, rescue and emergency response in your blood! Keep calm and carry on, as the queen always said. Can't wait to see you in your green hard hat and day-glo vest. Wish they had something like that over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I had no idea I had a homeopathic or allopathic doc in the family. Wow. Thanks for that. And I cannot wait to post the day-glo green costume pics...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am awed by you, being able to take the time to do this, having the energy and the brainpower to learn something new, and stressful... The skills you have learned are amazing, and I can see how important it is to have them. I wish there was something like that training around here, and that I had the space in my life to take it! Congrats on doing this, and being so successful, and having the guts! - Lise

    ReplyDelete