Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Inaugural Oakland Marathon (and 5K)

Tonight I ran in the Oakland Twilight 5K that kicked off the big Oakland Marathon Weekend. I was going to blow it off since I haven't gone running in months, in fact, haven't exercised in months. Exception, yesterday I went to yoga (1st time since Max was a baby...that's 7 yrs).

The big mistake, other than not running before today, was going on a big family hike this afternoon several hours before the race. So, what little strength I had...became littler.

I finished, I ran the whole way, minus a 45 second walk to drink the water they handed me. Oh, and toward the end, I started to walk but a woman told me, "We're almost there and you are my exact same pace!" So I kept running and finished. A bit disappointing even for being in bad shape.

#2643 Margaret Schultz Oakland CA 45 F Time: 46:41 576 of 729
(UPDATE: Chip time reported at 41:29)

Embarassing. but now I am inspired to begin running again. I was down to 36 minutes and can get there again. I also think, if I can run on a regular schedule, I can get faster than that, maybe 30 minutes?

Here's Nicole, the woman who kept me going:

And here's me, grateful to be done:
Did I mention that the fire department was handing out cans of beer to finishers? Somehow it struck me as tacky...but I drank anyway.

2 comments:

  1. An update, my actual Chip time was 41:29, 5 minutes faster than the clock time...I feel slightly better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Margaret, you are going to hurt yourself if you don't start properly preparing for such things!

    ReplyDelete