Monday, March 15, 2010

Cooking cupcakes



I saw a picture in Cooks Country, the newer, more accessible cooking magazine from Cooks Illustrated. I was reminded of the Hostess Cupcakes from my youth, the ones I still see in every 7-Eleven. They don't taste good but they look great. I was intrigued. I was obsessed. I had to make them.

So this past weekend, I spent several joyous hours engulfed in chocolate and marshmallow. I ran low on the marshmallow mixture at the end, so, the inside filling did not come out as firm as I would have liked...but still, I have to admit, a success. The cupcake was really chocolaty goodness (unlike the dry disappointing Hostess brand).

The day after making these, our next door neighbor dropped by and before I could stop him, BZ offered him one of the cupcakes. Our neighbor was very happy. He brought it home to eat in private. The next day, he rang the doorbell and yelled up to me, answering from the balcony, "That was great-can you save me just one more?!!!" Sadly, I agreed, how could I say no?


I originally made twelve. It turns out, that was not enough. I am committed to a double batch next time. And perhaps, I may have to rethink my swimsuit choices come summer.





1 comment: