Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just another day in Abu Dhabi

My eyes are burning. Probably from another day of dehydration. An incredible place but I cannot imagine living here. Fascinating cultures to learn about, amazing things to see....but no f-ing way. Construction is everywhere:

This is our work site:

This is the biggest Mosque in the UAE (my photo only captures about 1/2 of it):


This is the Shangri-La Abu Dhabi hotel pool (loveliest I've ever seen):

This the opulant, over the top Emirates Palace Hotel (ceiling painted in gold, yes, real gold):

These fellows, rather, these Sheiks, are pictured EVERYWHERE (I broke rules taking this photo):
Our current itinerary:

Tonight we are off to a Brazilian restaurant, tomorrow a tour of Abu Dhabi, Saturday morning we go to Al Ain for a cultural experience of some sort, and in the evening we go on a desert safari and ride a camel to dinner (OMG). Sunday we go to an Iftar, which is the Ramadan feast that follows the breaking of the fast. Whew. These are the plans so far.

And I thought I was on a business trip.

4 comments:

  1. Margaret! Your language! What would the Muslims say?

    You'll LOVE the camel ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN! I've always wanted to ride a camel. Ok - what's the deal. GM? Abu Dabi? I'm gettin' kind of a disconnect here. Have I missed something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not GM. This is my "vacation" to do training for a large hotel opening here. Today we get to experience a local hospital...luckily, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome experience! Do they need more trainers? :^) Lisa

    ReplyDelete