Monday, August 31, 2009

Days off in Abu Dhabi

I had a few unexpected days off. A scheduling misunderstanding. So I became a tourist quite quickly. The following is the new Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which is the 3rd largest Mosque in the world.


To go inside the mosque, women must be covered in the traditional "abayas" which are the robes, I cannot remember the name of the head scarves...

The reason for the black is so that no one can see through it. In fact, they were quite comfortable and I can see if you were a bedouin in the desert how it would protect you from the blowing sand and wind.

One evening, we went on a desert safari. The first activity was called "dune bashing." Translation: Get in a jeep, hold on tight and let the driver go crazy driving as if it were a roller coaster. Fun for the first 10-15 minutes but then the motion sickness took over. I remained nauseated for the rest of the evening.

I got to meet a camel and then even ride on one.


There was an evening meal followed by shisha. Not so bad. It had a bit of flavor to it, but no head rush, not like cigarettes. In fact, not like much at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment