Monday, March 9, 2009

Max turns 6

Max turned 6 years old on Saturday. We had a pretty small party with 5 kids, lots of Legos and decorate-your-own cupcakes. It was pretty mellow overall. I was tired by evening but nothing like some of the other parties I've gone to.

Most of the parents just dropped their kids off for the afternoon and it worked out fine. I mention this because I was shocked. I guess they are old enough to "handle" themselves but still. It never seemed an option before, to just leave. I think the other reason it seems weird and a bit sad is that at our preschool, whenever their was a kid party, it was an excuse for the parents to hang out. And, the parents were very cool, we wanted to stay. I guess our elementary school is not like that.

Is it a class thing? A culture thing? Hills vs. Flats of Oakland? Hmmm. I miss the community feel. Well, at least we had cake left over and didn't have to share it with as many grownups.

No comments:

Post a Comment