Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Selfish


I want to go to The Democratic National Convention in Denver, CO. I really want to go. It will be historic. It would be one of the most exciting events I could imagine.

Perhaps some of you are gagging at this point but for me, I find this stuff really inspiring. Just like those cheesy movies about the young poor golfer who makes it against all odds, or the broken down horse that ends up winning the big race and Pa can keep the house. I love that stuff.

Oh, a few details on attending the convention...you need to be running for office or be a delegate. Or be press or a few lucky volunteers. So the delegate route is the way to go. To be a delegate, you need to be elected in a local caucus, or to be an at-large delegate, you need to be elected by your state delegates. The application to attempt to be a delegate needs to be in at the beginning of April. The CA delegate caucuses and elections are concluded by the end of May for the most part.


Meanwhile, back in reality, Max enters Kindergarten this year. This is very exciting. He begins around August 25th, give or take a week, the date isn't set yet and won't be set until Oakland Unified decides to set it. The Democratic National Convention begins August 25th. Fuck. Shit. Piss.

Clearly, I need to be there on Day One of Kindergarten. Family first.

OK, so say the school year starts a bit earlier, as it sometimes does, and begins on Thursday August 21st? Is it OK for me to go and be at the convention the following week? Or is that still out of the question, given that the transition just might take more than two days?

CRAP.

I know what I am supposed to do here. I do. But it is killing me. The convention in four years is going to be a snoozer.

So. Selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment