Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Amen

I've been moved. Again.

Barack Obama was in some pretty hot water lately, needing to explain his Pastor, and his church's beliefs. He was in a kinda difficult spot...without condemning the pastor, many would worry that Obama thinks black hate is OK, many would be scared of who he really is and what kind of president he'd be. If he turned against the Pastor, left the church, that would be pretty devastating as well.

Senator Obama has tried to stay away from talking race for most of the campaign. This was the moment that he was bound to get to in one way or another. This moment was a sure test of his strength, leadership, values, grit.

I was worried that he would wimp out in some form and try to weasel around the issues...I hoped of course, he would live up to my expectations of him. I hate to lose.

When you have a moment, actually about 30 minutes, listen to his speech that addresses much more than Wright's statements, but about racism and its history in America. He speaks of the complexities of racism, anger, frustration, underlying tensions that still exist within most communities in this country not just black, not just white. Anyway, give a listen and I think you might get a better understanding of why I am so committed to his candidacy.

Obama's speech, "A More Perfect Union" March 18, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment