Tuesday, March 29, 2011

13.1 miles!

I ran. I ran 13.1 miles and was still smiling at the end.

Really smiling...and crying. It was an amazing moment(s)...running down that last stretch, all those people cheering us on, and to the left, finally seeing my cousin Pat with Max and Aiden, seeing their faces light up, hearing them yell out and wave...nothing better. Those final moments were so moving and I made it across the finish line with a ridiculous grin on my face or maybe it was crazed laughter.
Who would have believed that I, Margaret Schultz, would have EVER run a 1/2 marathon? Seriously. Ask anyone who has known me longer than just a few years...

Its true that back in 1998 or 1999 I rode in the AIDS Ride from San Francisco to LA on my big heavy bike. Its also true that those seven days of riding led to knee surgery. but I would not have traded that experience back then for anything at all. The training, the friendships, and the accomplishment were life changing. As I rode my bike down that final stretch, I think it was Avenue of the Stars (no kidding), I was crying and laughing and beyond joyous. And not just because I could finally sleep in a real bed and take a real shower after 7 days. I proved to myself that I could do anything, even it hurt, even if it was hard.

So this half marathon deal? It feels great too. It feels a bit less extreme, a bit more doable on a regular basis. I can't wait for the next one.

Here are my long run training run buddies, Sheila and Dana.

And of course, Coach Erin, my early morning run buddy.


So a big thanks to my friends for keeping me going even when I didn't want to. Can't wait for our next run.


4 comments:

  1. I, for one, cannot believe it! The half-marathon is a great distance. I'll have to get my butt back in gear to hang with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you Kimmy...and want you to join me for the Giant Race, Aug 27th right in SF, your backyard! Pretty please....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Margaret! I KNOW I couldn't do it. Awesome accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Margaret!! That's a great achievement!!!

    ReplyDelete