Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010


Happy Mother's Day.

This morning, we drove down to Los Gatos for a 5K Fun Run, organized by The Mother's Milk Bank of San Jose. I know I've run (and walked) other 5Ks but this one was different and far more meaningful to me.

When Aiden was born, I had to return to work much quicker than expected (or originally agreed to). I was unprepared. I was without childcare and without backup milk. It was around Christmas that I was told that I had to return the 1st week of the new year. In addition to the stress of trying to hire someone to help out during a major holiday, I had to begin pumping like a mad woman. Stick with me, I swear this is related to the 5K....

OK, so now back to work but, since I was nursing, and, since I was the only source of food for my baby Aiden (he was around 2 months old at the time), I was freaked about producing enough for him to live on when I was on the road. And, as it turned out, the stress reduced what I could pump while away from home. I couldn't keep up. In addition, I had business trips. Aiden came along. Still, not enough milk.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Aiden was allergic to any supplement, any formula, anything other than milk from nursing. I am not trying to be super Earth Mom here but I am telling you, anything other than water and mother's milk made the Exorcist look tame. I couldn't really afford to quit my job nor did I want to feed him water as a meal, but it seemed like the only choice. Until.....I was told about The Mother's Milk Bank of San Jose. They are one of just a few milk banks across the country, and as of this year, they have been around for 36 yrs. They provide mother's milk, donated by over-producing (and very generous) lactating women. They test, pasteurize, bottle and freeze milk in 3oz bottles. The milk is only available with a prescription from a doctor.

I commuted down to San Jose every few weeks to pick up my tray of bottles at $3/oz. I spent a lot on milk. Finally, at 16 months, we discovered that Aiden could tolerate goat's milk and my spending spree came to an end.

So the 5K. When I saw this race listed, I knew I had to run. So this morning, I ran. And ran, beyond the 5K distance since the route was so ill-marked. It was worth it. I got to meet the executive director and of course, burst into tears.

I introduced her to Aiden and I cried some more, again, in gratitude. I returned home with two balloons, a runner's medal and sore muscles. I also returned home feeling really good and mom-ish.

2 comments:

  1. What a great cause! Don't know if I mentioned that William had allergies to cow's milk as well. Our situation was less tramatic as supply did not fall off until Will was about 10 months of age. Still, colic was an issue. So we totally identify with the insane search for alternates. So yes, bless those overproducers (and the milk bank) for providing liquid gold to children everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Day!

    (now I'm tearish too)

    ReplyDelete